There has been a lot of talk about getting people enrolled in courses and retrained in order to get back to work. My idea is that employers should be allowed to take on an unemployed person for a defined period maybe 1 year and retrain this person in their business. This should be at zero cost to employers as the person should still receive job seekers allowance during this retraining and no need for employer to pay prsi etc.
There are many benefits to this including…
- Some employers may keep on their trainee.
- The person has received 1 year inhouse training.
- Less pressure on FAS/colleges to provide places.
- No extra cost to state or employer.
- No barriers to taking on trainee.
- Business/Companies get extra staff at no extra cost